Friday, July 11, 2008

aloha!

sorry for the absence but I was pretty busy working OT. Thanks to work, I have become socially inept from my friends. But then again, I learned new things and made new friends from people in my workplace which I'm very thankful of.

Cycling on the way back home in the early mornings is not only refreshing but allowed my mind to wander and think of matters which have happened lately in my workplace. I realised that most people think highly of medical students. Whenever I told them that I study medicine, I would watch their expression. There are many ways to say 'wow' to that.

Some are just expressionless with the 'wow'.

For some, their eyes widen a little and then 'wow'.

Some take a step back, scrutinize me from head to toe and exclaimed 'wow'.

Some have their eyes widen + take a step back + a wow +silence for a few seconds, and then they would say, 'you must be very smart then!'

I wonder why do people always think that studying medicine = very smart. Anyway, because of what I'm studying, I've met many people who befriended me thinking that they could squeeze some knowledge out of me. But sometimes I have to disappoint them by telling them frankly that I'm only a 2nd yr medic and I do not know much, or I may come out with some vaguely remembered causes of a particular disease or I may refer them to ask another source, who is none other than God himself ;P.

I realised that people care about petty things. There was this guy who asked me about bad breath who consulted a doc before and asked the same question thinking that I (who only have 2 years of basic medical knowledge) might have some divine knowledge which the doc (who has a few years of experience) might not have. Another one asked me about his backpain which I told him that 'doctors now advise you to do work instead of be absent from work' when having backpain. Another guy asked me what to do with his balding hair in which I did not know the answer. Sometimes I feel that people expect too much from doctors. THey expect them to have the instant answer and cure to all their misery and pain. But pity doctors are not God. They do not know the answers to everything.

OT this week has been pretty good. I do not dread it as last time. Mainly due to the pleasant working environment and the small group which I was placed in. I get to sit and walk around and have a total of 1.5 hour break (as opposed to the 1 hr break I usually have). I managed to talk to a Chinese guy who I've seen in RM for quite some time but hvnt got to talk to. Most importantly, I didn't feel sleepy during my work.

My heels are starting to feel sore from standing 7.5 hours for 3 consecutive nights. I guess it's a sign for me to change me shoes.

I'm just plain lazy to upload photos in this entry. SOmehow I'm getting very fussy in using a proper camera to take photos instead of the camera phone.

hope I've bore you enough with this entry! heheh :p

No comments: